My best book? Maybe. The book, which covers the history, humor, and tradition of this uniquely festive food, was a finalist in the non-fiction category of the Minnesota Book Awards. It also earned the Merit Award for Excellence in Book Publishing in the Humorous and First-Book-as-a-Publisher categories. This award is from the Minnesota Independent Publishers Association.
I went to the Lofoten Islands above the Arctic Circle in Norway. This is one of the world’s great fisheries. I caught cod and learned about the industry that is the foundation of lutefisk.
I returned to the States and ate lutefisk across the country—and lived to tell about it! Along the way, I gathered the most comprehensive collection of facts, fiction, and folklore surrounding this simple fish with the unforgettable scent. The Last Word on Lutefisk: True Tales of Cod and Tradition is a historical account of this colorful lutefisk tradition mixed with homespun tales, humor, tours, poetry, lyrics—even lutefisk cheers!
In The Last Word on Lutefisk, you will find:
- Old country travel and lutefisk lore
- Tales of Norse fishermen—and great color photographs
- Why lye is used in soaking the fish
- Secrets of making your own superior lutefisk (really!)
- Why lutefisk does not build character—it reveals it
- A directory of the finest lutefisk dinners in North America
A taste of both culture and culinary traditions, The Last Word on Lutefisk invites you to partake in this peculiar, exuberant Scandinavian feast.